MOSCOW, September 30 (RIA Novosti)
- Federal Security Service officer killed in North Caucasus
- Militant gunned down in N. Caucasus, one more arrested
- Violence remains 'chronic problem' in Russia's North Caucasus - U.S. report
- One soldier killed, five injured in N. Caucasus bomb attacks
- Major terrorist attack prevented in Russian North Caucasus
Some 1,000 militants continue to operate in Russia's North Caucasus Federal District, the Russian president's envoy to the region told the Russia Today TV Channel on Friday.
"All the leaders have been identified, all the militants have been identified, and we are currently carrying out serious work in connection with them," envoy Alexander Khloponin said.
Khloponin also said militants in the region received very little support from abroad.
"The ratio of foreign and, so to speak, domestic financing is 10 to 90 in Russia's favor," he said.
He added that militants in the region "don't have to seek financial support from international terrorist organizations, like al-Qaeda, it's enough for them just to extort money from businessmen, they get enough funds from this."
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.