The captains of two ships that failed to come to the aid of the boat that sank in Volga River are to be arrested© Photo Ministry of Emergency Situations
MOSCOW, July 15 (RIA Novosti)
- Putin blames negligence, greed for Russian riverboat tragedy
- Volga court sanctions arrests of two suspects in deadly ship tragedy
- Divers broaden search area for cruise ship victims
- Eighty five bodies from sunken Bulgaria riverboat identified
- Putin lays flowers at impromptu memorial to shipwreck victims
- Sunk riverboat survivors meet families
- Reconstruction of Bulgaria cruise ship wreckage
- M/S Bulgaria sinks on the Volga
- People pray, light candles in memory of Volga sinking victims
- Second day at Bulgaria wreck site
- Riverboat Bulgaria rescue efforts
- Survivors of the Bulgaria cruise ship wreckage on Russia’s Volga River
The captains of two ships that failed to come to the aid of the boat that sank with the loss of over 100 lives in Russia’s Volga River on July 10 are to be arrested, investigators said on Friday.
“We have instructed transport police to detain the two captains…to assist in our enquiries,” Investigation Committee spokesman Vladmir Markin said.
The captains of the Dunaisy-66 and Arbat face up to two years behind bars if found guilty of deliberately ignoring a vessel in distress.
Survivors from the sinking Bulgaria cruise boat were eventually picked up by the MV Arabella vessel, where they received medical assistance.
Alexander Yegorov, the captain of the Dunaisy-66, has defended his decision not to stop, telling the Izvestia newspaper he had misjudged the scale of the accident, and that the barges in his charge would have made it impossible to provide help.
The captain of the Arabella has confirmed that he spoke with Yegorov and they both agreed that the Dunaisy 66 would have been incapable of providing assistance.
Rescue workers completed their search of the sunken vessel on Friday. The boat will be brought to the surface at the weekend.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has blamed “irresponsibly, negligence and greed” for the tragedy. The Bulgaria was critically overloaded and operators had no license to organize cruises.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.