Syria© REUTERS/ MAJED JABER
Syria© REUTERS/ Handout
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev© RIA Novosti. Alexey Kudenko
- Over 3,000 protesters rally in Syria
- Syria denies mass grave unearthed in Deraa
- EU imposes arms embargo on Syria
- Over 50 people killed in Day of Rage protests in Syria
- Italy, France urge EU sanctions as Syria violence escalates
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Wednesday that Russia will not back a UN resolution on Syria.
Britain, France and Germany have been pushing for the UN Security Council to condemn Syria's crackdown on pro-democracy protests. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has been using tanks and troops to crush the dissent.
"I will not back this resolution even if my friends are going to beg me to," Medvedev told a news conference at the Skolkovo School of Management near Moscow.
"It is sad that these resolutions can be manipulated," he said.
Russia also abstained from supporting resolution 1973 which authorized air strikes to protect Libyan civilians against forces loyal to Col. Muammar Gaddafi.
SKOLKOVO, May 18 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- suhailRussia must start mediations now.16:59, 18/05/2011Russia can still veto NATO's action on Libya and help save Libya from being balkanised.The foolish and malicious Libyan rebels have only made Gaddafi's position more stronger by stupidly seeking NATO's help and thereby becoming its agents.So,the best that one can do is,help Gaddafi be Libya's President for now and then after a few days,chair and facilitate a dialogue between Gaddafi and the rebels to remove him from power peacefully.If the dialogue won't help in removing Gaddafi,it will atleast make him accept the legitimate demands of the rebels.That way Russia will stand to gain a lot.
- suhailAbstain=secret support.14:20, 29/05/2011Russia's repeated abstinence has given 'to abstain' a new meaning.It now means to support NATO's evil actions secretly.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.