- Over 50% of Russians believe corruption increasing - poll
- Russian corruption not of ‘pandemic’ proportions - Kremlin official
- WikiLeaks cables allege rampant high-level corruption in Russia
- Leaked U.S. diplomatic document portrays Moscow as haven of corruption
- Russian lawmakers urged to control aides after corruption case
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that the increase in the number of people charged with corruption and bribery in Russia proves the effectiveness of anti-corruption measures in the country.
"The number of individuals punished for administrative crimes, corruption and bribery in Russia...is on the rise, especially in the past few years," Putin said at his annual Q&A session.
"But this is because we started to catch more of them [fraudsters] rather than because their numbers are growing," he added.
The Berlin-based non-governmental anti-corruption organization Transparency International has persistently rated Russia one of the most corrupt nations in the world. In the 2010 Corruption Perception Index, Russia was ranked 154th of 178, below countries like Kenya, Laos and Papua New Guinea.
MOSCOW, December 16 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Any anti-ISIL operation in Iraq cannot be effective unless the Islamic State is attacked in Syria. But the final statement of the Paris Conference did not mention Syria as a precaution against disunity in the coalition and with due regard for the Russian position. Professor of the Chair of Modern East Department of History, Political Science and Law in RSUH