- Fan groups slam Moscow violence
- Kremlin official denounces Moscow riots
- Moscow police to remain vigilant amid race-hate tension - mayor
- Russian police release all football fans detained in riots in downtown Moscow
Over 1,300 people were arrested in Moscow on Wednesday as police mounted a mass operation to prevent further race-hate riots, a police source said on Thursday.
Police were on high alert on Wednesday following rumors that nationalist groups and migrants from the southern Russian North Caucasus region were planning to clash near the city's central Kievskaya railway terminal.
Police seized 16 traumatic guns, 208 knives and 260 other weapons, including hammers, metal bars and stun guns, the source said.
Police said about 30 people were injured as officers sealed off areas around the rail terminal.
There were also arrests in St Petersburg as police prevented clashes between nationalists and migrants.
The new race-hate protests came after the Russian capital saw its biggest public disturbances for almost a decade on Saturday as a 5,000-strong crowd of nationalists and football hooligans clashed with police near Red Square. Rioters also attacked people from the country's North Caucasus region.
President Dmitry Medvedev called the disorder, which was triggered by the death of a football fan in a brawl with North Caucasus migrants, a threat to the stability of the Russian state.
MOSCOW, December 16 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mrgenieMerkel12:02, 16/12/2010As the German Chancellor A. Merkel stated a few weeks ago:"Multikulti ist gescheitert." Unfortunately, we see this statement proven all over the European Continent
- BlitzInterracial misunderstanding03:52, 17/12/2010Many people from North Caucasus think they are allowed to do whatever they want. I don't mean all of them are like the, but the ones that are - they behave like typical gangsters, they carry weapons, they abuse Russian women, they attempt (and unfortunately often succeed) to bribe police and judges in courts, they do never follow driver's code. I'm not a nationalist, but when I hear about another Caucasian raped a young woman or drove over someone I begin to understand all those Slavonic Unities. Caucasians are guests in other regions and often are unwilled ones due to their attitude. They are like barbarians.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.