- Russia proves effectiveness of its naval nuclear force - Navy
- Russian icebreaker departs for Arctic
- Russia's nuclear subs to continue Arctic navigation
- Russian missile cruiser begins patrols around Spitsbergen
- Arctic breakthrough: Expedition of sailing ship Sedov sets new record
- The Northern Sea Route: An Arctic lifeline
- Barneo Base – an Arctic town on ice
- Arctic Ice Melting
- New expedition to ascertain Russian Arctic shelf borders
- Natural resources in the Arctic
- Russia affirms its status as Arctic power
- Will Russia benefit from Arctic exploration?
Russia is currently increasing its combat potential in the Arctic with new ships and additional station sites, Navy Commander Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said on Saturday.
Russian naval ships and submarines have already conducted over ten military patrols of the Arctic in 2010, Vysotsky said.
"In accordance with the Russian Armed Forces' plan of strategic deterrence we take measures aimed to demonstrate military presence in the Arctic," the navy commander said.
The Russian Navy is currently taking measures to integrate the Glonass satellite system with the RSDN-20 radio-technical navigation system, he added.
The RSDN-20 is a navaid used to determine positions of aircraft, vessels and submarines; however its effectiveness is low. Integration with Glonass will allow the system to determine positions of objects with the accuracy of 1-5 kilometers.
Glonass - the Global Navigation Satellite System - is the Russian equivalent of the U.S. Global Positioning System, or GPS, and is designed for both military and civilian use. Both systems allow users to determine their positions to within a few meters.
Russia and other countries with an Arctic coastline all lay claims to the region's seabed, said to contain one quarter of the world's mineral resources. The untapped riches are becoming more accessible due to melting ice.
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin told a recent international conference in Moscow that the Arctic would not become a battleground as potential territory disputes could be resolved through negotiation.
MOSCOW, October 2 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.