Topic: Wildfires in Russia in 2010
- No threat of nuke explosion at Russia's Sarov nuclear center - Rosatom chief
- Russia's Sarov nuclear center safe - Rosatom chief (update 1)
- Russian president's envoy slams mayors, praises regions over fires
- Wildfire threatens military base in Russia's Moscow region
- Robots to extinguish fires near nuclear research facility in Sarov
- Putin visits area devastated by wildfires in the Voronezh Region
- Army battles fires, builds water supply line
- Moscow and the Moscow Region smothered in smoke
- Kriushi: a Russian village burnt down by wildfire
- Fighting wildfires in central Russia
- Ecological consequences of forest fires
- Forest fires: Types and extinguishing steps
Some 500 servicemen are working to extinguish wildfires near the city of Sarov, where a nuclear research center is located, a spokesman for Russia's Railway Troops said on Friday.
"The main goal the railway servicemen are achieving now is putting up fire-breaks to prevent homes and the nuclear center from catching fire," Col. Sergei Dorozhkin said.
More than 30 pieces of military equipment are also involved in the firefighting efforts in Sarov, in the Nizhny Novgorod region, one of the worst-affected regions. Dorozhkin added that day and night duty had been organized to monitor the wildfires and new hotspots in the area.
A scorching heat wave has gripped much of European Russia since mid-June, sparking wildfires and causing the worst drought in decades.
The forest and peat bog fires have so far killed 50 people and left some 2,000 homeless across the central part of European Russia.
NASA satellites Terra and Aqua on Thursday registered 535 hotspots from wildfires across Russia, according to the ScanEx website.
The record-breaking heat wave will continue through mid-August, meteorologists say.
MOSCOW, August 6 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.