- Death toll in Urals cafe fire rises to 111
- Perm emergencies officials raise death toll in nightclub fire to 110
- Security guards had to break Perm club's sealed doors down — witnesses
- Medvedev urges harsh punishment for culprits in nightclub fire
- Fire in Urals nightclub kills over 100
- 3D reconstruction of deadly fire in Russian nightclub
- Russian nightclub a few minutes after deadly incident
- Panic breaks out as Russian nightclub catches fire
- The scene outside the Urals nightclub after a tragic fire
- Video: Russian nightclub before and after deadly incident
- Deadly fire at Perm night club
The number of people killed by a nightclub fire in the Urals city of Perm has risen to 112, the regional emergencies service said on Sunday.
"According to the latest data, 112 people were killed as another woman died at a hospital in Perm," the emergencies service said.
The tragedy occurred on the night of December 4-5 during a party to celebrate the Lame Horse club's eighth anniversary when an indoor fireworks display started a fire that consumed most of the 500-square-meter venue.
Many victims were trapped and choked on smoke as they attempted to escape through the club's single exit.
Over 120 were injured in the nightclub fire, with 98 people with severe burns and injuries delivered to Russia's best burn treatment centers and hospitals in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Chelyabinsk in the Urals. As many as 26 people in grave though stable condition were staying at Perm hospitals, the emergencies service said.
A criminal case has been opened for violations of fire regulations that resulted in multiple deaths, which carries a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.
President Dmitry Medvedev, who declared Monday a day of national mourning, accused those running the club of gross negligence, and called for harsh punishment.
Russia's regional prosecutors have been told to organize urgent nationwide inspections of public gathering venues, to avoid a repeat of the tragedy in Perm as the New Year holidays draw near.
MOSCOW, December 6 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.