A multipurpose laboratory module on the basis in the Khrunichev state space scientific and production center© RIA Novosti. Vladimir Vyatkin
- Launch of Proton rocket carrying European satellite delayed
- Russia set to launch Eutelsat satellite from Baikonur
- Russia launches Cosmos-series military satellite
- Sea Launch postpones DirecTV 11 satellite launch
- Russia orbits Europe's Eutelsat satellite
- Russia launches second satellite for Galileo navigation system
- 50th anniversary of the Earth's first artificial satellite launch. Video. Part I
- 50th anniversary of the Earth's first artificial satellite launch. Video. Part II
- 50th anniversary of the Earth's first artificial satellite launch. Video. Part III
A U.S. telecommunications satellite has been delivered to the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan ahead of a December 29 launch, Russia's Khrunichev center said on Friday.
DirecTV satellite operator has a contract with Russian-U.S. joint venture International Launch Services (ILS) to launch the DirecTV-12 on board a Proton-M carrier rocket to expand its existing satellite grouping.
"AN-124 Ruslan heavy transport plane with the [DirecTV-12] satellite and auxiliary launch equipment landed on Friday at the Baikonur space center," the Khrunichev Space and Research Center said in a statement.
The launch is expected to be the ninth Proton launch in 2009 and the 350th overall for the long-serving Russian carrier rocket.
The Boeing-made DirecTV-12 satellite, weighing around 6 metric tons, will become part of DirecTV satellite grouping and provide high-definition TV, Internet and communications services to subscribers in the United States.
The Khrunichev center has overseen 12 successful launches of its carrier rockets since the start of 2009.
MOSCOW, November 27 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.