23/10/2014 12:41
RIA Novosti

Russia

Over 30 militants killed in Chechnya since start of year

13:41 20/05/2008
MOSCOW, May 20 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Joint Group of Forces in the North Caucasus eliminated 32 militants in Chechnya this year as of April 27, the group's commander said on Tuesday.

"There are still plenty of militants in mountainous areas," Maj.-Gen. Nikolai Sivak said, reiterating that, "militants lack arms and ammunition."

The high-ranking military official also said that, "Unfortunately, we did not see a decrease in the number of losses, and this year 17 federal troops were killed as of April 27, against 15 [in the same period] last year."

Last month, a high-ranking military official with the Russian Defense Ministry said that a total of 192 militants and armed gang members were killed and more than 700 arrested in anti-terrorist operations in Russia's North Caucasus in 2007.

Although the active phase of the North Caucasus anti-terrorist campaign officially ended in 2001, periodic bombings and clashes between gunmen and federal troops still disrupt Chechnya and nearby regions, including Daghestan, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachayevo-Circassia.

  • Add to blog
  • Send to friend
  • Share

Add to blog

You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.

Publication code:

Preview:

Send by e-mail

All fields are required!




Leave a comment

    Рейтинг@Mail.ru
    © 2014  RIA Novosti
    Some material may be inappropriate for those under 18