20/10/2014 13:41
RIA Novosti

Russia

Flamethrowers burned no one in Beslan rescue operation - prosecutor

13:56 20/10/2005

VLADIKAVKAZ, October 20 (RIA Novosti) - Russian Deputy Prosecutor General Vladimir Kolesnikov said Thursday that no one had been burned by flamethrowers in the operation to free the Beslan hostages.

"The burn impact was post mortem," he said, citing an investigation that had proven that the Shmel flamethrowers could not have caused the fire that broke out in Beslan school no.1. Therefore, the official said there were no grounds for filing criminal cases against troops who used the weapons.

A group of gunmen seized a school in Beslan, North Ossetia, a Russian republic in the North Caucasus, on September 1, 2004, taking children and locals hostage. Russian troops stormed the school on September 3. The death toll in the attack was 331, including 186 children. In all, 918 hostages were rescued.

  • Add to blog
  • Send to friend
  • Share

Add to blog

You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.

Publication code:

Preview:

Send by e-mail

All fields are required!




Leave a comment

    Рейтинг@Mail.ru
    © 2014  RIA Novosti
    Some material may be inappropriate for those under 18