- New Katyn Massacre Documents May Cause Political Stir
- U.S. to Share Katyn Massacre Data With Poland
- 'Belarusian List' of Katyn Victims Found
- European Court 'Could Not' Rule on Russia's Katyn Investigation
- Poland Gets More Presidential Plane Crash Info From Russia
WARSAW, August 9 (RIA Novosti) - Poland’s Foreign Ministry has called on Moscow to hand over to Warsaw archives relating to the so-called Augustow roundup that resulted in some 600 Polish anticommunists becoming missing in the summer of 1945, the Polish Press Agency (PAP) reported Thursday.
“The official publication by Russia of the full list of Augustow roundup victims and the site of their burial would be a humanitarian act, especially in regard to the victims’ close ones that would make it possible for them to gain access to information on their relatives’ fate and honor their memory,” the ministry said.
The Augustow roundup was a military operation by Soviet forces and Polish communist units against alleged anticommunist fighters near the city of Augustow in Poland’s northeast in July 1945. Of thousands arrested, some 600 are believed to have been executed and buried at an unknown location in Russia.
The alleged mass killing has been dubbed “a second Katyn” in reference to the 1940 Katyn massacre of thousands of Polish officers by Soviet secret police.
Relations between Russia and Poland have also been strained over a 2010 jet crash that killed Poland’s then-president, Lech Kaczynski, his wife and a host of top officials near the Russian city of Smolensk. The delegation was flying to Smolensk to mark the 70th anniversary of the Katyn massacre. All 96 people aboard the plane died.
In its probe into the air crash, the Moscow-based Interstate Aviation Committee said the Polish flight crew was responsible for the accident. Poland, which carried out a separate investigation, partially blamed Russian air traffic controllers.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Wolfgang9I just wonder10:51, 09/08/2013I just wonder when the German government will have the stomach to ask the US for saving the bones of all the dead German prisoners of war which were starved and killed by Eisenhower's troops in the Rhine valley! They are still there laying in the ground without Christian graves. And the US still refuses Germany to dig and to bury them.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.