Topic: Iran's nuclear program
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday called for a diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear problem© REUTERS
UNITED NATIONS, September 1 (RIA Novosti)
- Iran's Bushehr Nuclear Plant at 'Full Capacity'
- U.S. Iran Sanctions Threaten Ties With Russia – Official
- Ashton, Jalili Fail to Set Date for New Iran Nuclear Talks
- U.S. Congress Passes New Sanctions Against Iran
- UN Chief Regrets No Deal on Iran After Moscow Talks
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday called for a diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear problem, his spokesman Farhan Haq told journalists in New York.
“It is regrettable that Iran has yet to reach agreement with the IAEA on a plan to resolve all outstanding issues,” Haq quoted Ban as saying.
Media reported on Thursday that the International Atomic Energy Agency’ report on the Iranian nuclear problem contains information that Tehran has increased its capacity to enrich uranium at the Fordo underground site by at least 30 percent.
Haq said the secretary general emphasized that “there can only be a diplomatic and negotiated solution to the Iranian nuclear issue which should be pursued through a reciprocal, step-by-step process.”
That process “must include measures by Iran aimed at building international confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear program,” he said.
This week, Ban was in Tehran, where he attended a summit of the Non-Aligned Movement and held a number of bilateral meetings.
The West accuses Iran, which is under a few sets of UN Security sanctions, of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons program, while Tehran says it needs nuclear power solely for electricity generation.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardesEURASIA is a priority for Russia and China20:56, 01/09/2012The military movement that freed Abkhazia and South Ossetia from the Republic of Georgia raised no military intervention from the United States or its allies of the West, because they thought that a nuclear conflict could ensue. Too dangerous for the USA it was and now the support to Syria and Iran by Russia is bringing the fears of defeat again by the US and NATO, North Atlantic Treaty Organization that talk, talk, but never invade Iran or Syria. China may form alliances with the Russian Federation in part making Asia better for commerce in a sort of Eurasia when Europe and the euro are problems for the USA. Europe is a good client of Chinese goods and Russia has interests in the euro too. Europe is a competitor of the USA when Russia and China want to consolidate and configure EURASIA and leave the USA not as the number one nation, but a strong global player, giving a lot of "space" for Russia and China and BRICS, Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.