Topic: Top stories of the day
A roundup of what has happened in the past 24 hours
* Russian anti-corruption whistle-blower Alexei Navalny, who is on trial for the embezzlement of half a million dollars of lumber, was officially registered as a candidate for Moscow mayor, an election authority said.
* Russia’s Audit Chamber has exposed financial irregularities totaling 6.7 billion rubles ($205 million) in the North Caucasus republics of Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachay-Cherkessia, the financial controller said.
* More than a third of Russians have never heard of US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden, who has recently asked for temporary asylum in Russia, according to a survey by the state-run Public Opinion Foundation.
* The Russian financial director of Montenegro’s largest aluminum plant, a man authorities believe facilitated the theft of almost €10 million in electricity, was released from jail on €100,000 ($130,000) bail, shareholder En+ Group said.
* A gang of armed robbers broke into the country home of a prominent Russian scientist, severely beat him and his wife, and fled with some 3.5 million rubles ($110,000) in valuables, a law enforcement source said.
* Fugitive former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden will most likely be granted temporary asylum status in Russia, a prominent pro-Kremlin lawyer who helped Snowden complete his application said.
* The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has barred officials in Florida from releasing their report detailing the cause of death of a 27-year-old Chechen man, Ibragim Todashev, who was shot and killed in his apartment in May by an FBI agent, the medical examiner’s office that conducted the autopsy said in a letter sent to RIA Novosti.
* Russia’s Air Force has begun a large-scale exercise in the west of the country involving the "biggest-ever deployment of the service's new Sukhoi Su-34 strike aircraft," a Defense Ministry spokesman said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.