A roundup of what has happened in the past 24 hours
* Russian anti-corruption whistle-blower Alexei Navalny, who is on trial for the embezzlement of half a million dollars of lumber, was officially registered as a candidate for Moscow mayor, an election authority said.
* Russia’s Audit Chamber has exposed financial irregularities totaling 6.7 billion rubles ($205 million) in the North Caucasus republics of Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachay-Cherkessia, the financial controller said.
* More than a third of Russians have never heard of US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden, who has recently asked for temporary asylum in Russia, according to a survey by the state-run Public Opinion Foundation.
* The Russian financial director of Montenegro’s largest aluminum plant, a man authorities believe facilitated the theft of almost €10 million in electricity, was released from jail on €100,000 ($130,000) bail, shareholder En+ Group said.
* A gang of armed robbers broke into the country home of a prominent Russian scientist, severely beat him and his wife, and fled with some 3.5 million rubles ($110,000) in valuables, a law enforcement source said.
* Fugitive former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden will most likely be granted temporary asylum status in Russia, a prominent pro-Kremlin lawyer who helped Snowden complete his application said.
* The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has barred officials in Florida from releasing their report detailing the cause of death of a 27-year-old Chechen man, Ibragim Todashev, who was shot and killed in his apartment in May by an FBI agent, the medical examiner’s office that conducted the autopsy said in a letter sent to RIA Novosti.
* Russia’s Air Force has begun a large-scale exercise in the west of the country involving the "biggest-ever deployment of the service's new Sukhoi Su-34 strike aircraft," a Defense Ministry spokesman said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: 10 Animals on the Verge of Extinction
Infographics: One Day Without Gasoline