Topic: Crimea’s Fate
Guided-missile destroyer USS Truxtun© REUTERS/ U.S. Navy/Petty Officer 3rd Class Deven B. King/Handout
MOSCOW, March 12 (RIA Novosti) – A US navy destroyer began joint exercises Wednesday with Romanian and Bulgarian warships in the Black Sea, about 130 miles from Crimea, the Reuters news agency reported.
The mission was cited by the White House last week as a sign of the United States’ commitment to the region amid ongoing turmoil in Ukraine – which also borders the Black Sea – that threatens to split the country apart.
The exercises, taking place in Romanian territorial waters, were scheduled to begin Tuesday but were delayed due to adverse weather.
The USS Truxtun, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, was dispatched last week from its duties as an escort in the carrier group led by the USS George H.W. Bush, part of the US 6th Fleet headquartered in Italy.
Romania’s coast is as close as 130 miles (220 kilometers) to Ukraine’s Crimea peninsula, where troops lacking official insignia but carrying weapons and wearing uniforms of the Russian military have seized key infrastructure and military bases in recent weeks.
The Crimean government declared independence Tuesday ahead of a referendum scheduled for Sunday on the question of annexation by Russia.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228Shaking in their boots!17:56, 12/03/2014I'm sure Russia is shaking in their boots over this! This is akin to one Russian destroyer in the Gulf of Mexico. The Black Sea is Russia's bathtub. A few Russian missiles could take out this ship in less than 15 minutes!
- sohelsaheenRussia CAN CRUSH all...18:16, 12/03/2014Well, USA knows GOOD that all will take maximum 30 minutes for Russia to crush those stuffs in Romania and Bulgaria.
- bielecBeware of a false flag operation18:41, 12/03/2014It might be the Gulf of Tonkin syndrome of the U.S. military. Ignore it but take precautionary measures.
- severnayazemlyaUSS Truxton: don't run aground in Black Sea20:49, 12/03/2014Try not to run aground in Black Sea, like the USS Taylor, guided missiles destroyer, which ran aground at Samsun, Turkey February 12th, and was towed to Crete for repairs.
U.S. should permanently close their embassy at Kiev, save billions.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgMost Bulgaria have Warm Feelings about Russia and Ukraine01:24, 13/03/2014Most Bulgaria have Warm Feelings about Russia and Ukraine.
They should stay outside of the Crimea issue.
This is very bad for the Bulgarian government to take part in NATO warship drills directed against Russia. I am sure most Bulgarians agree with me.
- R.Deus-von HomeyerRE:Should Bulgaria participate in the drills with USS Truxton?20:17, 13/03/2014Of course,ALL Bulgarians LOVE Matushka Rossia and Ukraina!
The problem is,that after the desolvement of the Warshau Pact,Bulgaria was left without ANY military protection as the Soviet Union fall apart and as a small country Bulgaria was and STILL is afraid of being attcked by Turkey.
Every time I talk to my relatives in BG,they woory a lot,that Turkey might occupy them.
For that reason Bulgaria became a member of NATO and this is the result...USA is forcing Bulgaria to participate in their military drills.
In Case of a war,certainly the Bulgarians will NEVER EVER shoot at the Ukrainians or Russians as WE,ALL are SLAVIC Brothers and we are gratfull to the Russians for liberating us from the OSMAN Empire.
- mythoslightRelax it´s just...17:41, 13/03/2014...a "chicken race" with the US and western fascist forces being two chicken-ducks quacking around the Hawk/Russian Black Sea bathtub, trying not to bump into 200.000 combat ready Russian anti-fascist troops,with all the moral and professionalism an army could ask for, 24/7 Russian aerial war-games and, among other , a battleship/flagship with the capacity to sink two carrier armadas simultaneously.
Only a complete trigger-happy Am. retard would pick a conventional war, for a fascist neo-nazi mob regime, against Russia anywhere near the country and particularly in that region.
Short of actually saying it, Obombah has drawn yet another red line, just outside Russia´s doorstep, and Putin is not going to save his *ss this time and just like Georgia they will back off, again.
- jg(no title)19:31, 13/03/2014I guess it will be quite convenient for Russian surveillance of US and other NATO warships conducting an exercise. Normally, the Russian aircraft and submarines would have to chase US ships in the open sea.
Image Galleries: Christophe de Margerie: 40 Years With French Oil and Gas Giant
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize