KRASNOZNAMENSK (Moscow region), October 2 (RIA Novosti) – A Russian military space official admitted Wednesday that the country will be powerless to act should Earth become the target of an interplanetary incursion.
Sergei Berezhnoy, an aide to the head of the Titov Space Control Center, said that Russian aerospace defense authorities have not been tasked with preparing for the contingency of an alien attack.
“There are enough problems on Earth and in near-Earth space,” Berezhnoy said in response to a reporter’s question.
The planet’s space powers are in any event limited in their scope of action for building up military capabilities beyond the Earth’s confines. Under the terms of the 1976 Outer Space Treaty, to which Russia is a signatory, states cannot place weapons of mass destruction in orbit, although conventional weapons are allowed.
The Titov Space Control Center, which is run by the Russian Aerospace Defense Forces, is the country’s primary military and commercial satellite control facility.
The facility currently operates about 80 percent of Russian orbital spacecraft.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- alexk2(no title)17:44, 02/10/2013...how about we worry about actual problems
- ImperatorActual problem12:48, 28/10/2013The designer of the now famous SL9/Peekskill/2012DA-14/Chelyabinsk meteor events do not intermingle with humans because the latter have not yet proven that they are morally fit to be intermingled with. Nothing proves unfitness like self-destruction. History reveals that those who have run this planet for the last 200 years are a death cult.
- ImperatorNot to worry00:45, 04/10/2013The Chelyabinsk bolide Of February 15, 2013 that sent 1,100 to the hospital for facial cuts was nothing more than a heads up to you. No one died because the bolide was exploded at a very specific altitude. It was meant to be a bit more "in your face" than the previous meteor duo of 92/10 and 93/3, the ones that the Ames Research Center laughed off and ignored. Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9's 21 comet salute/impact of Jupiter was equivalent to a few thousand times the entire nuclear arsenal of Earth, so you don't even have to even bother trying to defend against them. Besides, the entities responsible have been defending for these our civilization from asteroids for years, after all, but now they expect you and the others to do this yourself. You have the technology, and its common sense. They want the human race to survive and grow up. What they don't like is all the killing, not that Russia is doing much of it these days. Keep up the good works!
- Imperator(no title)16:03, 04/10/2013The recent events of February 15 were a replay of events occurring October 9, 1992, when NASA commenced the world's first comprehensive, high technology search for extraterrestrial intelligence, known as SETI (aka High Resolution Microwave Survey). A test signal was dispatched by ET, preemptively, by way of a large meteor-fireball that streaked past Washington D.C. at 8 o'clock in the evening, and then proceeded to remove the right signal-light of a parked car in Peekskill, New York. The license plate of the selected car contained a message; it was a date (93/3), the month and year that comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 would in fact be discovered by Eugene Shoemaker and David Levy. That comet consisted of 21 fragments that would impact the planet Jupiter, which explosions were the most energetic events of any kind ever seen by mankind in his solar system. The latter signal was a warning: "better 'survey' your own backyard before 'surveying' anyone else's backyard."
- agnesmariaRules19:23, 27/10/2013Don't worry, the Rules of Engagement are protecting you right now. With a force more powerful behind them than anything on Earth, you can bet that they will be enforced. ETs can only influence humanity - for good and for ill - through what amounts to sabotage, espionage and reconnaissance behind enemy lines.
- ImperatorUniversal Morality11:24, 28/10/2013Sorry, Agnes, your comment is not applicable, though appreciated. The entity(ies) does not interfere unless it is to provide information vital to human survival. The impact of Shoemaker-Levy 9 of Jupiter changed the world in important ways and vindicated Eugene Shoemaker's theory concerning large meteor impacts.
Military exercises are held in order to prevent a war rather than prepare for one. If a potential enemy knows and sees that the Russian Army is constantly improving its skills and adopting state-of-the-art combat equipment and combat support systems he will hardly risk aggression against these Armed Forces and the country they defend.