- Russia Starts Preparing for Zapad-2013 War Games
- Russia Invites US Experts to Attend Zapad-2013 Military Drills
- Russia, Belarus start Zapad 2009 military exercise
- Belarus air defense units arrive in Russia for Zapad-2009 drills
- Russia to deploy 2 armies in Belarus for Zapad military drills
MOSCOW, September 9 (RIA Novosti) — Over 2,500 Russian troops set off on Monday to Belarus for large-scale joint strategic military exercises code named Zapad 2013 (West 2013), the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement.
The two-stage drills, which will also involve “rapid-reaction” units from the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), will be taking place in Belarus and Russia between September 20 and 26.
Vyacheslav Usik, a spokesman for the Russian General Staff, said earlier that Belarus will send 10,400 servicemen to the drills, which will also involve some 60 aircraft and helicopters and up to 250 combat vehicles.
Moscow and Minsk held similar large-scale military exercises in September 2009. They involved about 12,500 servicemen and up to 200 pieces of military hardware.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize