- Iran Unveils Missile-Launching Hovercraft
- Iran Successfully Tests Upgraded Short-Range Missile
- Iran to Drop $4-bln Claim if Russia Delivers S-300 Missiles: Envoy
- Iran Uses Nuclear Talks to ‘Buy Time’ for Bomb – Israeli PM
- Iran Should Win International Community’s Trust - UN Chief
- Iran Nuclear Talks End With No Breakthrough
MOSCOW, March 9 (RIA Novosti) - Iran’s army will test-fire three new types of missiles during an upcoming military drill, a top military commander said on Saturday.
The missiles, which have undergone lab tests, will be test-fired by the end of the current Persian calendar year (ending on March 20, 2013), Ground Forces deputy chief Gen. Kiomars Heidari was quoted by Press TV as saying.
During the exercise, which will take place in central Iran, missile units “will be used in massive combat and operational tactics,” he said.
Heidari did not provide any specifications for the new missiles.
On February 10, Iran successfully tested the Fakour air-to-air missile and on December 31, 2012 the Ra’d (Thunder)surface-to-air missile, the agency said.
In July, Iran’s Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi announced progress in the development and manufacture of an indigenous version of the advanced Russian S-300 air defense missile system.
Iranian military officials said the missile system, called Bavar (Belief) 373, is even more powerful and more advanced than the Russian S-300.
The $800-million contract to supply Iran with the missile system was signed in late 2007. Russia was to deliver five S-300PMU-1 battalions to Tehran. However, on September 22, 2010, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed a decree terminating the contract in line with UN Security Council Resolution 1929, which bans supply to Iran of conventional weapons including missiles and missile systems, tanks, attack helicopters, warplanes and ships.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- flyer19999S-300 and Iran02:53, 10/03/2013It is rumored Iran already has earlier models of the S-300 it obtained from third party. Since Russia is no longer producing the system sale Iran the surplus.
- moistThat third party would be...13:06, 10/03/2013...Belarus with Russian consent. In a win-win situation,Belarus earns a few bucks and business deals with it´s Iranian partner, Iran get´s much needed defence against western Zionist aggression and have also reportedly modelled it´s own similar system on S-300, upgraded it and made a few adjustments and Russia ultimately, get´s it southern flank better protected because if Iran falls the western fascist regimes & NATO will undoubtedly send their bearded trolls, their Al-Qaeda merc´s to Russia.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.