- Irkut Delivers First Su-30SM Fighters to Russian Air Force
- Second Sukhoi Su-30SM Fighter Jet Joins Flight Tests
- New Su-30SM Fighter Makes Maiden Flight
- Sukhoi Su-30SM: An Indian Gift to Russia’s Air Force
MOSCOW, December 19 (RIA Novosti) – The Russian Defense Ministry and the Irkut aircraft maker have signed a contract on the delivery of an additional 30 Su-30SM multirole fighter jets to the Russian Air Force by 2016.
The first contract between the Defense Ministry and Irkut for the delivery of 30 Su-30SMs was signed in March. The Russian Air Force received the first two Su-30SM aircraft on November 22.
“In line with the new contract, Irkut will build 30 additional aircraft of this type for the Defense Ministry by 2016,” the ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
The Su-30SM is the latest development of the twin-seat Su-30 jet fighter family, itself a derivative of the long-serving single-seat Sukhoi Su-27, one of the air force's most important warplanes.
The new aircraft has an improved radar, communications and identification-friend-or-foe system, new ejection seat and new weapons. It also has thrust-vectoring engine nozzles and canard foreplanes, providing supermaneuverability at low airspeeds.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- shanksinhaFormidable Fighters14:30, 20/12/2012The Su-30SM is essentially the Su-30MKI for domestic market. It is a formidable multi-role combat aircraft of 4.5 generation. Advanced sensors and interchangeable weapon suit will make it a versatile value addition to VVS. Along with Su-35 the Su-30SM shall provide a potent punch to VVS capabilities through 2025 and beyond.
Ukraine has never been a nuclear weapons-state and never had control over the nuclear weapons that were located on its territory following the collapse of the Soviet Union. It doesn’t have the research, technical or industrial capacity to develop and produce nuclear weapons in the short term.