- Irkut Delivers First Su-30SM Fighters to Russian Air Force
- Second Sukhoi Su-30SM Fighter Jet Joins Flight Tests
- New Su-30SM Fighter Makes Maiden Flight
- Sukhoi Su-30SM: An Indian Gift to Russia’s Air Force
MOSCOW, December 19 (RIA Novosti) – The Russian Defense Ministry and the Irkut aircraft maker have signed a contract on the delivery of an additional 30 Su-30SM multirole fighter jets to the Russian Air Force by 2016.
The first contract between the Defense Ministry and Irkut for the delivery of 30 Su-30SMs was signed in March. The Russian Air Force received the first two Su-30SM aircraft on November 22.
“In line with the new contract, Irkut will build 30 additional aircraft of this type for the Defense Ministry by 2016,” the ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
The Su-30SM is the latest development of the twin-seat Su-30 jet fighter family, itself a derivative of the long-serving single-seat Sukhoi Su-27, one of the air force's most important warplanes.
The new aircraft has an improved radar, communications and identification-friend-or-foe system, new ejection seat and new weapons. It also has thrust-vectoring engine nozzles and canard foreplanes, providing supermaneuverability at low airspeeds.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- shanksinhaFormidable Fighters14:30, 20/12/2012The Su-30SM is essentially the Su-30MKI for domestic market. It is a formidable multi-role combat aircraft of 4.5 generation. Advanced sensors and interchangeable weapon suit will make it a versatile value addition to VVS. Along with Su-35 the Su-30SM shall provide a potent punch to VVS capabilities through 2025 and beyond.
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize