- U.S. Tests New Missile Defense System
- U.S., NATO Have Some 1,000 Interceptor Missiles - Rogozin
- U.S. says will give no missile defense assurances to Russia
- Russia to move missiles to EU borders if U.S. shield talks fail - Medvedev
MOSCOW, November 12 (RIA Novosti) – Russia will “react in the sharpest manner” to any US ships equipped with the Aegis combat system attempting to sail by its shores, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin told RIA Novosti in an interview.
Rogozin did not elaborate on Russia’s possible reaction, but lambasted the US missile defense system – part of which involves ships equipped with the Aegis integrated naval weapons system – for fuelling “an arms race.”
Russia is developing new S-500 interceptor missiles and does not rule out stationing radar stations outside its territory.
But the country has no plans to station its missiles in other countries, unlike the United States, Rogozin said.
“We have never placed our interceptor missiles near US borders on ridiculous fabricated pretexts such as ‘protecting our American friends from Canada and Honduras.’ But they do, on the pretext of protecting us and Europe from ‘bad guys in Iran and North Korea,’” Rogozin said.
The United States plans to place elements of its missile defense, intended to protect itself from “rogue states” like Iran and North Korea, in Eastern Europe. Russia vehemently opposes the plan, claiming that its own ballistic missiles would also be covered by the US shield, disrupting the nuclear parity between the countries.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- arielkyVoice of Reason04:40, 15/11/2012I'm glad to see someone challenge the absurd overreach of the U.S. military. American plans for establishing hegemony over Russia, China and the entire world are ridiculous. Can an entire country suffer from megalomania? Apparently so. Either that, OR you have to give credence to opinions that obscenely rich oligarchs such as the Rothschilds have taken over the U.S. government and military to serve their own purpose. There is a megalomaniac behind these plans. I read recently that the Rothschilds came from a country that no longer exists, Khazaria. And that they want revenge on Russia for conquering them back in the 900's. That's an absurd idea, but the scifi-like proliferation of U.S. military bases and partnerships with other countries to use their military bases at great cost to the American people is also an absurdity.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.