NEW DELHI, October 7 (RIA Novosti)
- Hypersonic Brahmos Missile to be Ready by 2017
- Indian BrahMos cruise missile test launch successful
- Russian-Indian JV to develop Brahmos-2 hypersonic missile
- India conducts BrahMos cruise missile test
The Indian Navy has successfully test-fired a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile launched from a warship off the western Goa coast, India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) reported on Sunday.
The BrahMos missile, a joint development of Russian and Indian specialists, was launched from the guided missile frigate INS Teg built by Russia on order from the Indian Navy.
“The missile hit the designated target at a distance of 290 km,” the DRDO said.
BrahMos Aerospace Ltd, set up in 1998, manufactures supersonic cruise missiles based on the Russian-designed NPO Mashinostroyenie 3M55 Yakhont (SS-N-26).
The BrahMos missile has a range of 290 km (180 miles) and can carry a conventional warhead of up to 300 kg (660 lbs). It can effectively engage targets from an altitude as low as 10 meters (30 feet) and has a top speed of Mach 2.8, which is about three times faster than the U.S.-made subsonic Tomahawk cruise missile.
Sea- and ground-launched versions have been successfully tested and put into service with the Indian Army and Navy.
The flight tests of the airborne version will be completed by the end of 2012.
The Indian Air Force is planning to arm 40 Su-30MKI Flanker-H fighters with BrahMos missiles.
Russia and India have recently agreed to develop hypersonic BrahMos 2 missile capable of flying at speeds of Mach 5-Mach 7.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- shanksinhaDouble success19:29, 07/10/2012This is a double success for Russian and Indian defence co-operation. Not only it reaffirms the capabilities of Brahmos missile, but also showcases the prowess of its launch platform, the newly delivered batch 2 Talwar frigates. The Talwar class procurement programme is a grand success and a third batch should be ordered.
One of the main achievements of the 6th BRICS Summit was the signing of an official document on establishing a New Development Bank with a declared capital of $100 billion. The creation of the bank is an important step towards institutionalizing BRICS and strengthening its positions in the world in the long run.