BRUSSELS, October 3 (RIA Novosti)
- NATO Plans New Afghan Mission
- Afghan Attacks Show NATO Failure - Karzai
- Rasmussen Announces First Step of European Missile Defense
- Rasmussen says Russia, NATO can cooperate on anti-missile shield
The North Atlantic Council agreed on Wednesday to extend NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen’s term in office until the end of July 2014.
“Following a process of consultations, Allies approved today Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen’s fifth year in office, thus extending his mandate until July 31st 2014,” the council said in a statement.
“Allies will support Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen in his dedicated work to carry forward NATO’s tasks, missions and objectives, based on consensual allied decisions,” the statement said.
Rasmussen, 59, took up his duty as NATO Secretary General on August 1, 2009 after resigning as Prime Minister of Denmark.
He faced the difficult task of overseeing the NATO combat mission in Afghanistan during his four-year term as fighting with Taliban insurgents intensified.
The extension of his mandate has been highly anticipated as NATO troops prepare to withdraw from the war-torn Central Asian country by the end of 2014.
Rasmussen will dedicate most of his efforts to making sure that NATO is well prepared for the handover of security tasks in Afghanistan to Afghan army and police and for the withdrawal of the international contingent from the country.
In addition, he will take part in outlining the future NATO assistance mission in Afghanistan, which would focus on the training of Afghan security personnel and advising Afghan officials on security issues.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardesUSA Militarism Versus GLOBAL Terrorism21:36, 03/10/2012The War on Terror begun in the USA and NATO as a key for isolationism of the United States and Europe after 9/11, somehow, being less specific when no one knows exactly who NATO is dealing with when Terror is the main point in terms of STRATEGIC policies. Basically, generically, terrorists might exist in any country pertaining to a variety of ideologies. NATO is leaving Afghanistan before the original plan once to expire in the planned exit in 2014. Terrorism has no face, no country, no ideology, being more as a paranoid delusion begun on 9/11 with the partial, once not conceivable destruction of the cortex of American Defence and intelligence - The Pentagon. Files were lost. Terror remains as a relatively new word in the USA military jargon when America looks more like a military camp with a Laconic vocabulary based in the word WAR, strictly disciplined, but without a philosophy, depending in drone strikes and mercenaries like in Syria, in a militarism without an effective army.
Image Galleries: Christophe de Margerie: 40 Years With French Oil and Gas Giant
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize