MOSCOW, September 20 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian Warships Back from U.S. after Drills
- Russian Warships Head to Mediterranean
- The Russian Navy Grows from Bottom up
- Russia set to rebuild its nuclear-powered cruisers
The flagship of Russia’s Northern Fleet, nuclear-powered missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky, has carried out missile defense drills during the current patrol-and-training mission in the Arctic, Izvestia newspaper said on Thursday.
Pyotr Veliky is the only Russian warship with sufficient capability to thwart massive attacks by cruise and ballistic missiles.
“During the current mission on the Northern Sea Route along Russia’s Arctic coast, Pyotr Veliky conducted tests of its missile defense capability as part of the sea-based segment of the national missile defense shield,” Izvestia cited a defense ministry source.
“The missile defense drills in the Arctic are very important because they cover the trajectories of potential strikes by land-based U.S. ballistic missiles,” the source said.
Pyotr Veliky is armed with 48 S-300F Fort and 46 S-300FM Fort-M (SA-N-20 Gargoyle) medium-range surface-to-air missiles (with effective range of up to 200 kilometers), 128 3K95 Kinzhal (SA-N-9 Gauntlet) short-range SAMs, and six CADS-N-1 Kashtan gun/missile systems.
Its radars are capable of detecting and tracking aerial targets at an altitude of 30 km and a range of 300 km.
As part of the plan to develop the sea-based segment of national missile defense network, the Russian military intends to overhaul and reactivate three mothballed Kirov class nuclear-powered missile cruisers by 2020.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmMore empty talk since the first time this was talked about in the news the ships are still mothballed.23:18, 20/09/2012As part of the plan to develop the sea-based segment of national missile defense network, the Russian military intends to overhaul and reactivate three mothballed Kirov class nuclear-powered missile cruisers by 2020 the news said.
We all have heard this story time after time but are the ships anywhere near to even been in a repair yard?
All time just one ship keeps resurfacing every time is the one above while the defense sector goes under? When will the Russian defense ministry get serious and stop looking for foreign made military hardware so a few crocked men can make some side cash selling their country dry.
- moistIn super sonic missile technology Russia are....13:47, 21/09/2012..20-30 years ahead of anything the anglo-american fascist regimes can come up with. These where (are) a direct and most lethal response to traditional but ridiculously expensive western-colonial air craft carrier & cannon boat diplomacy. I admit, the Kirovs and Kuznetsovs are great and impressive but who need too many of these sitting ducks nowadays? This is the question and the answer will come shortly after Iran start sinking American such vessels in the gulf, putting their Sunburns and Onyxe´s to good use...
The Brest-Litovsk peace treaty that ended Russia’s part in the war has been the subject of heated debate from the moment it was signed in March 1918. To this day, scholars offer differing interpretations of the circumstances that led to the treaty and its domestic and foreign policy importance.