MOSCOW, September 14 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian Navy to Receive New Rescue Ship in 2014
- Northern Shipyard to Build 13 Warships for Russian Navy
- Russian Navy to Drop Lada Class Subs – CinC Vysotsky
- Russian Navy to Get 10 Borey Class Nuclear Subs
- Russian Navy to Receive Mistral Warship in 3 Years
The Russian Navy is planning to receive over 100 new auxiliary ships by 2020 to satisfy the need for logistics support of its expanding combat fleet, Deputy Defense Minister Gen. Dmitry Bulgakov said.
“We have already signed a contract to buy five new auxiliary ships,” Bulgakov told reporters at the naval base in Novorossiisk on Thursday.
“By the end of 2020 we plan to purchase 96 vessels of this kind“, he said.
According to the general, the new vessels will feature full integration of logistics, technical and maintenance capabilities to ensure that each ship can perform a wide variety of missions, including firefighting and resupply of fuel, food, fresh water and munitions.
Russia’s current auxiliary fleet is ageing and lacks mobility and versatility as the majority of the ships can perform only a limited number of specific tasks, experts believe.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.