WASHINGTON, August 29 (RIA Novosti)
- Moscow Recaps Its Missile Defense Posture
- Poland Wants to Build Missile Defense System with France, Germany
- Putin Pessimistic on Missile Defense Problem
- U.S. Confirms Plans to Strengthen Missile Defense in Gulf
- US State Dept. Urges Russia to Cooperate on Missile Defense
- Putin, Obama Agree to Continue Dialogue on Missile Defense
The United States welcomes Moscow’s willingness to further reduce nuclear weapons and reiterates that American missile shield in Europe is not aimed against Russia, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of State said.
Last week, Russian President Vladimir Putin said his country is ready for taking further steps to reduce and limit the arsenal of strategic offensive weapons, but on condition that the United States also changes its stance on the missile shield in Europe.
“As you know, we are interested in continuing arms control talks going forward. That said, we reject any linkage with missile defense. As we always say, these are defensive systems; they are not directed at Russia; they’re primarily directed at the threat from Iran and from rogues, et cetera,” Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told a daily press briefing.
She said U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will possibly discuss Putin’s statement in more detail next week during the 2012 APEC summit that will be held in Vladivostok, in Russia’s Far East.
“Well, obviously the stop in Vladivostok, where we’ll get a chance to see a Russian leaders will give us an opportunity to explore in a little bit more detail what might have been behind those comments,” she said.
Nuland added that the United States will “continue to try to encourage Russia to be more open-minded about missile defense cooperation, not only with us but with NATO as well.”
Negotiations between Russia and NATO member states on the U.S.-led missile defense project have deadlocked over the West's reluctance to give Moscow such guarantees.
The United States scrapped plans in September 2010 for an anti-ballistic-missile defense system in the Czech Republic and Poland. Moscow welcomed the move, and then-President Dmitry Medvedev said that Russia would drop plans to deploy Iskander-M tactical missiles in its Kaliningrad Region, which borders NATO members, Poland and Lithuania.
Last year, however, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced Washington's plans to deploy a missile interceptor site in Poland by 2018.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmRussia talks to damn much and never show it can help anyone far from its shores.12:53, 29/08/2012Russia has boxed itself into a corner on Syria because it do dependent on the West for military technology and civil airplanes we all know all along this would of come back to hunt Russia and Putin.
Now the West can say to Russia we will cut all cooperation with you on civil airplane, refuse to sell spear parts, same with the military hardware how stupid Russia was to venture into the West for civil airplanes and military stuff.
Russia corrupted middle men and pressure group who condemns their own local airplanes in favor of Western ones will tie the Kremlin hands to act freely as it sees same with the nuclear weapons.
So all Putin can do is just rely on a Veto power but will soon lose the battle in Syria. The West knows full well Russia will put its economic interest first before Syria.
- Wolfgang9Russia is out?22:17, 29/08/2012To me it looks like that NATO and the US just have to wait until Russia declines. After that China will probably be wiped out. The sad thing is, that then we all will have to endure the BigBrother regiment and we will all together be slaves. But, I have been fearing that since 1990 the status quo was buried and the Soviet Union was crashed. In Russia, you shouldn't be too much afarid, since most of the people in Western Europe who supported the US and NATO all the time will endure about the same thing as you will do, i.e. not belonging to the BigBrother gang and just be slaves in a society which will outlaw any development which does not serve the power of the ruling gang.
- PlutardesRussia - The Era of Big government is back22:41, 29/08/2012We are not going through an Era of Militarism, but we are in an Era of Global ECONOMIC prospects and ventures. While a "Middle Class" was created in BRICS countries - Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, in the USA and Europe together the Middle Class "shrank". In so there is a great disparity between Europe-United States in relation to BRICS. The world is changing rapidly in terms of nukes when even Iran now has a nuclear program. The Era of militarism is over and big government for the Russian Federation is back, in the Mideast and why not in the world.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Europe is not an alien civilization to Putin. If the Russian world wins, the European family would likely offer a place – possibly the pride of place – to a new and better Russia, with its large population consisting of many ethnic groups. By incorporating Crimea, Russia has not left Europe but has re-entered it after 20 years of living in isolation.