Topic: Protests in Syria
MOSCOW, July 28 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian warships leave Syrian port of Tartus
- Syrian Army Launches Anti-Opposition Operation in Aleppo
- Russian Warships Will Not Enter Syria Port – Navy Chief
- Syrian Troops Continue Crackdown on Aleppo Rebels
Servicemen may be evacuated from the Russian naval base in Tartus, Syria, if it comes under attack, Navy chief Vice Adm. Viktor Chirkov said on Saturday.
“I am not the one to issue orders: We have the defense minister [for that],” he said in an interview with Ekho Moskvy Radio. “If we have to evacuate the personnel that is currently deployed there, we certainly will.”
He stressed that an order by the commander in chief of the Russian Armed Forces (the president) and Russia’s top political leadership was required for that.
Chirkov said on Monday Russia has no plans to abandon its naval base in Tartus.
The Russian Navy needs the base to provide maintenance and technical support to Russian warships in the Mediterranean, as well as those on an anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, he said.
Russia has repeatedly denied media reports that it was sending warships to Syria and delivering weapons to the Middle Eastern country.
Black Sea Fleet commander Rear Admiral Alexander Fedosenkov said on Thursday Russian warships in the Mediterranean are preparing for naval drills due in September, and are not carrying out any military tasks in Syria.
The Russian flotilla comprises 10 warships, plus escort vessels. Chirkov said previously the Russian warships would not dock at Tartus.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- archangel of justicehave the USA scared you?13:26, 28/07/2012it seems the plays are done! Syria will fall like Lybia, because of no support from Russia that seems to hheve been made secret agreements with USA
- moistcontradictory statements13:47, 28/07/2012Typical Russian isn´t it, to launch a barrage of contradictory statements that leaves the western fascists puzzled long enough for whatever reason...
- cheruskDialectic tactics ?17:01, 28/07/2012After Syria it will be the turn of Belarus to topple the so called last dictator and of Iran. Once Russia will be isolated it will be torn to pieces and one of these will be taken by the 1300 millions Chinese.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.