MOSCOW, July 26 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian defense minister denies plans to build aircraft carriers
- Russia to build nuclear aircraft carrier by 2023
- Russia defense minister denies plans to build aircraft carriers
- Russian aircraft carrier readies for training mission
Russia will begin building new aircraft carriers after 2020, Russian navy chief Viktor Chirkov said on Thursday, in a major boost to Moscow's ability to deploy air power abroad.
“At the moment, the construction bureau has received its assignment, the documents are being processed, and the money for the construction program has been allocated,” Chirkov said.
If the plans reach fruition, it would be a major boon to the Russian navy, which currently fields only one aging aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov.
The Kuznetsov, part of the navy’s Northern Fleet, was built in 1985 and has been scheduled to undergo a major overhaul.
Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov first announced a plan in November 2011 to construct new aircraft carriers, RIA Novosti reported, but he also said at the time that the state had not provided enough financing.
Another former Russian carrier, the Admiral Gorshkov, was sold to India in 2005, refitted and renamed the Vikramaditya. It is currently undergoing sea trials in the Barents Sea.
Russia is currently in the middle of a huge rearmament program, with $659 billion to be spent on arms procurement by 2020 according to the Defense Ministry.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- shanksinhaRussian Navy needs air assets17:05, 27/07/2012Russian Navy needs to maintain intrinsic aviation assets of its own. There is also a need to maintain carrier operation experience, nurtured so painstakingly since mid 90s. Ideally there should be minimum three carriers eventually, so that two can be available at any given time for pacific and northern fleets (the third being in refit).
By the way, it is a habit by Russian press to add "aging" before any asset like in this case Kuznetsov. An aircraft carrier of such tonnage is meant for 40 years operation, and Kuznetsov has just reached its prime, not aging as the commentator puts it. After the scheduled mid life refit and new air fleet of MiG-29k it will evolve in to a much potent platform.
Image Galleries: Track-and -Field Athlete of the Year Yelena Isinbaeva
Infographics: Russia – Ukraine Gas Dispute
Violent suppression of protests can lead not to stabilization but just the opposite. It forces Yanukovych to seek solidarity only in Moscow. It puts Russia in a position where it will again be involved in Ukrainian politics. And in this murky swamp, we have repeatedly gotten bogged down.