MOSCOW, June 2 (RIA Novosti)
- China, U.S. military ties to increase transparency in Asia Pacific
- Changes in the Asia-Pacific region
- Russian-Chinese initiative on strengthening of security and cooperation in the Asia-Pacific Region
- ASEAN lauds Russia as 'factor of stability' in Asia Pacific
- Expo-2010 hears about preparations for Asia Pacific summit
The United States will redeploy bulk of its naval fleet to the Pacific Ocean by 2020, U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta said on Saturday.
"By 2020, the navy will reposture its forces from today's roughly 50-50 percent split between the Pacific and the Atlantic to about a 60-40 split between those oceans," Panetta said at the 11th Asia Security Summit of the International Institute for Strategic Studies in Singapore.
"That will include six aircraft carriers in this region, a majority of our cruisers, destroyers, combat ships and submarines," he added.
Panetta rejected the suggestion that changes in U.S. military strategy aimed at containing China's growing influence.
"Some view the increased emphasis by the United States on the Asia-Pacific region as some kind of challenge to China. I reject that view entirely," he said.
U.S. President Barack Obama announced in November 2011 that the Asia-Pacific region was a top priority of the country's security policy.
"President Obama has stated that the United States will play a larger role in this region over the decades to come. [As for defense policy], we will play a central role in promoting strong partnerships and strengthen the capabilities of the Pacific nations to defend and secure themselves," Panetta also said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardsAmerica is not the Police of the world.18:36, 02/06/2012The USA is currently in war with North Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan when there are still American Army marines in the distinct wars with four countries in the strategically dangerous Middle-East, specially when the United States also would like to add to the given four wars, to start a possible war with Iran and another war with Syria. America is a military camp. Besides, people around the world would never support a nation of warmongers that the USA so proudly insist in self-proclaiming, as if they were the "Police of the World". Nobody would invest in an America that with dire unemployment, recession and stagnation is already engaged in 4 wars, with the USA military next to China and Russian interests in the Asia-Pacific. Investors do not like this disheveled anarchism that the USA calls "a capitalism in transient struggle", a crisis that is more than ten years old, since September 11 when the Pentagon, the nerve cortex of American intelligence and defence was partially destroyed by an airplane similar to the ones that hit the twin towers in New york city. If the USA gives priority to militarism the investors around the World will go forward to Russia, BRICS, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, all in the pursuit of International Law, not the Mediocrity of War, as redundant losers that Americans are.
- arsanlupinPlease check your facts17:09, 03/06/20121. There is no fighting with North Korea – the armistice was signed 59 years ago.
2. There never was a war with Pakistan; Pakistan is considered an ally of the USA and NATO.
3. The war in Iraq is over – the last American troops were removed at the end of last year. The only troops left are marines stationed within the US embassy.
4. The American Marines aren’t a part of their army – they are an independent service branch.
5. There aren’t 4 wars in the Middle East
6. The only country US marines are fighting in is Afghanistan
7. The USA is nowhere near a military camp – the vast bulk of people in the USA never see anyone or anything military during their entire lifetimes.
8. No one ever proclaims themselves to be a warmonger – that’s silly talk.
9. The USA is the #1 recipient of foreign direct investment – 15.8% of total FDI worldwide in 2011.
10. At 8.1% and dropping the unemployment rate is lower than more than 100 other countries.
11. US military spending is less than 18% of the current US federal budget, and less than 4% of USA’s GDP.
12. It wasn’t anyone in the USA who referred to capitalism as “transient”; rather it was Karl Marx himself who referred to capitalism as “a transient phase of economic development”. The collapse of the Soviet Union, the admission by Fidel Castro that communism didn’t work, North Korea’s inability to feed themselves, and the growing capitalism in China proves that ALL of Karl Marx’s theories were arrant nonsense – including that one.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.