PARIS, June 2 (RIA Novosti)
Russia will hold partner-like dialogue on missile defense with Western countries if it has guarantees that the missile shield is not directed against it, President Vladimir Putin said on Friday.
“We are constantly being told that the missile defense system is not directed against Russia. We would like to receive military and technological guarantees fixed in legally binding documents,” Putin told journalists after talks with his French counterpart Francois Hollande in Paris.
“Only then will we be able to feel safe and hold normal partner-like dialogue,” he said.
“Statements like ‘don’t be afraid, we promise that nothing will happen’ are clearly insufficient in the modern world. This is childish. We need guarantees and serious agreements in the security sphere,” Putin said.
He added that he hopes constructive dialogue with France and other NATO members is possible.
Russia and NATO agreed to cooperate on the so-called European missile defense system at the Lisbon summit in November 2010. NATO insists there should be two independent systems that exchange information, while Russia favors a joint system with full-scale interoperability.
Russia’s military and political leaders have repeatedly warned their western partners that if talks fail, Moscow may take a series of measures including deployment of Iskander short-range nuclear-capable ballistic missiles in the Kaliningrad exclave.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- SirkoSo Far, So Good..05:39, 02/06/2012Hollande needs to take France out of NATO as did General DeGaul. Good for Putin and so far so good. Here's hoping they do not sucker him with lies. Place counter measures not only in the Kalinin enclave but in Byelorus and aim them all at the Pole and the Czech...
- HapHarris(no title)11:03, 02/06/2012Do you mean Vladimir Putin would accept guarantees from the West against missile shields would not be directed at Russia-??!!
- lmHumiliation will be the reward keep begging.17:44, 02/06/2012So what if Russia gets a legal binding guarantee what will stop the legal binding guarantee from been ignored in time of war?
After the war “WE HAVE A LEGAL BINDING DOCUMENT THAT THE MISSILE WOULD OF NOT HIT US, NOW WE DEMAND BILLIONS IN COMPENSATION FOR THE WAR DAMMAGE TO RUSSIA TERITORY.
- SirkoMight is Right...!!!05:01, 03/06/2012Written legal guarantees. Right...!!! Saturate western Russia, Byelorus and the Ukraine with state of the art missiles aimed at all those Nazi sympathizers in WW II and now members of NATO. NATO.
They have forgotten the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact. That is about as good a guarantee Russia can expect from America and its Wart NATO and their Running Dogs the Poles and the Czechs...
- email@example.comMight is Right20:39, 04/06/2012Everyone, including me, seem to agree that the requested guarantee is wothless. Putin knows this better than we do. So why does he ask for a guarantee that is worthless? Maybe just posturing, or trying to make the west look evil? Noone in the west would ask for or put any faith in a guarantee that Russia would not move its moble launchers to whereever it wants to, no matter what Putin might promise. The whole position is patently ludicrous, and the west knows it.
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.