A nuclear-armed Iran, Pakistan and North Korea could potentially trigger regional chain reactions that ultimately threaten Russia's security© RIA Novosti. Sergey Kazak
MOSCOW, May 4 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian Military Concedes Iran, N. Korea Nuclear Threat
- Iran, World Powers Resume Nuclear Talks
- North Korea Prepares for Underground Nuclear Test
- Nuclear-Armed Iran ‘Unacceptable’ – Pentagon
A nuclear-armed Iran, Pakistan and North Korea could potentially trigger regional chain reactions that ultimately threaten Russia's security, the former director of Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service, Vyacheslav Trubnikov, said.
“Even if Iran, Pakistan and North Korea are not Russian adversaries, their current and projected nuclear potential could destabilize the regional situation. It could trigger a chain reaction of proliferation (Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, Egypt, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan) that gives rise to a new missile threat for Russia,” Trubnikov said in an article included in the digest for an international conference on missile defense in Moscow.
History shows that relations with unstable states and radical regimes can rapidly deteriorate and their nuclear potential could become a real threat to Russian national security, Trubnikov said.
That is why Russia needs to work toward mutual understanding with the United States and NATO on the issue of missile defense, he said. World’s nuclear states map
World’s nuclear states map
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmTwo face man...15:30, 04/05/2012A nuclear-armed Iran, Pakistan and North Korea could potentially trigger regional chain reactions that ultimately threaten Russia's security, the former director of Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service, Vyacheslav Trubnikov,the news said.
Now look at this double face man? when he was in the military he sang a diffrent song, now out he is singing a diffrent song all because he is been paid to sell his soul out.
- kylesvetI am Bought15:46, 04/05/2012"Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service, Vyacheslav Trubnikov, said."
Well it looks like someone was paid off well...
- metchi(no title)17:44, 04/05/2012this is not an ordinary peace of news...this is strategic point of view that could affect the whole political sceen...henceforth, the circles of influnces should be specified with identifying the points of contradictions and point of benefits along with the predefined accordances...
in this case, the countries mentioned are not sorted within the should-be predefined accordances -I didn't use the word ally here... Accordingly, how to put Turkey and saudi Arabia on the same pile where Japan and south Korea are mentioned...thus, how about Syria the former host of the Russian base tell 2010... however, I can look to the subject from more than one aspect taking into consideration the detailed attached map ...
1 - Canda ... how to specify its political situation... is it an affliate of the USA or the UK
2- Egypt... how to put in the same line with Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Turkey...it was the shelter of Obama's speech to the Middle East after his failure in Turkey...when some said that the Americans granted them some self-destroyed nuclear bombs to be used in a dual purbose
- in the case of Egypt why we do not specify the real relationships between we and they tell now - the 2012... what is the real situation of Russia - Tsaria or not- with Egypt... if Israel could be identified by the US state no# 51, then Egypt is either the no#52 or the no#2 after the capital
3- from the map you can not specify the real borders of Russia... which is not a good sign of influnce...but, it shows the the impded countries are threatned by such "dogma"
4- last point -inforced!?- Iran ...recomended not to be left isolated iles ...search something
- Michael JohnathenWhois been in your pocket22:24, 05/05/2012Mr. Trubnikov? You seem to have notes in there that you didn't have earlier.
- arsanlupinAmazing!00:50, 06/05/2012I find it amazing that the only thing 3 out of 4 other posters have to say about this is that they think he was paid to voice this opinion. Am I the only person to think that perhaps he was forbidden to speak his mind whilst an employee of the government; and now that he is retired he's no longer under such restrictions?
I would think that a former member of the SVR would have a slightly better idea of the real security threats to Russia than the average Russian citizen. Also, he is apparently responding to the rapid changes in the international security scene. What might be important 20 years ago - or even 20 days ago - could easily change into something totally different by tomorrow. Russia must learn and adapt to these changes Why is this so difficult to understand?
It would seem that paranoia is a Russian ailment even more pervasive than alcoholism - and even more destructive to Russia. You must stop letting ancient conflicts and old hatreds blind you to what is the truth TODAY. The world is a completely different place from what it was 25 years ago – the people of Russia must adapt to this new 21st century planet, if it is to survive. The dinosaurs of the Soviet Union are holding back the Rodina from her future. The future belongs to those Russians who can THINK. Think with your BRAINS - not your balls!
- gulopeznot clear05:09, 06/05/2012Two questions: First,¿ Why do the countries with pourly nuclear weapons represent a treat to Rusia, instead of heavily nuclear countries like USA, France, UK, and Israel? I looks like trying to protect yourself by killing a fleat intead of killing the lion. Second, ¿ why there not mention at all about possible Israel weapons of mass destruction ? I do not understand this logic, except if the idea is to destroy these contries for some secret reazons.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.