New S-400 Triumf air defense systems have been delivered to Russia’s Western Military District and will be put on alert duty in a month© RIA Novosti. Valeriy Melnikov
ST. PETERSBURG, February 21 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia to Deploy S-400 Air Defense Systems Near Borders
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defense systems in joint drills with Belarus
- Russia to deploy 2nd S-400 air defense regiment near Moscow
- Russia to revamp air defense with S-400, Pantsir-S systems
- Second S-400 regiment to be deployed near Moscow
- S-400 Triumf destroys supersonic target
- The S-400 Triumf surface-to-air missile system in action
- New S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems to guard Moscow
- S-400 Triumph air defense system protects Moscow airspace
- S-400 Triumf surface-to-air missile system
- S-400 Triumf enters combat duty
- S-400 Triumf air missile defense system
New S-400 Triumf air defense systems have been delivered to Russia’s Western Military District and will be put on alert duty in a month, district commander Arkady Bakhin said on Tuesday.
He did not say exactly where the missiles will be stationed.
Air Force Commander Alexander Zelin previously said S-400 systems would be deployed near Russia's borders in 2012.
Some of them will most likely be placed in the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad in response to the planned European missile shield, which Moscow considers a threat to its national security.
Russia currently has two S-400 regiments protecting the airspace around Moscow.
State-controlled arms exporter Rosoboronexport has said Russia will not export S-400 systems before 2015 and may not start deliveries to Belarus and Kazakhstan until after 2014.
The S-400 (SA-21 Growler) air defense system is expected to form the cornerstone of Russia's theater air and missile defenses by 2020.
The S-400 can engage targets at a range of up to 400 kilometers and an altitude of 40,000-50,000 meters. The system uses an array of assets optimized for engaging ballistic and cruise missiles.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Edward Snowden is not an isolated case but part of an independent community which is increasingly resolute in asserting itself and rejecting “raison d’Etat” and behind-the-scenes manipulation. The direct results of Snowden’s disclosures are most clearly evident in the context of Russian-American relations. The Snowden case has humiliated Europe, which Putin took the opportunity to remind them of.