MOSCOW, February 14 (RIA Novosti)
- No S-400 Missile Exports Before 2015
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defense systems in joint drills with Belarus
- Russia to revamp air defense with S-400, Pantsir-S systems
- Russia's second S-400 missile unit enters service
Russia will place several new S-400 Triumf air defense systems near its borders in 2012, Air Force Commander Alexander Zelin said.
“The Russian Armed Forces will receive several S-400 air defense systems this year,” Zelin told RIA Novosti on Monday. “This time they will be deployed in air defense units guarding [Russia’s] border regions.”
Zelin did not specify the deployment locations for new S-400 units, but some of them will most likely be placed in the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad as part of the response to the planned European missile shield initiative, which Moscow considers as a threat to its national security.
The S-400 (SA-21 Growler) air defense system is expected to form the cornerstone of Russia's theater air and missile defenses by 2020.
The S-400 can engage targets at a range of up to 400 km and an altitude of 40,000-50,000 meters. The system uses an array of assets optimized for engaging ballistic and cruise missiles.
An S-400 air defense regiment consists of two or three battalions equipped with four systems each. Russia is planning to arm 56 battalions with S-400 systems by 2020.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mrgenieI really hope08:15, 14/02/2012Russia will build hundreds of these defense systems, NATO builds this missile shield as well in response to the Russian shields.
It would be nice if these systems get so effective that they can take down all ICBM's and tactical nukes.
If those deadly and wrong weapons become obsolete, we can finally forget this era of mutual total destruction.
- wulfranoHope11:14, 14/02/2012I hope all this is just a circus. Otherwise it could be the start of World War III.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.