NEW DELHI, October 8 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian, Indian defense ministers to discuss cooperation
- Rosoboronexport says India remains Russia's largest strategic partner
- New stealth fighter jet 'principal' for Russia, India
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India by yearend
- Russia's MiG starts on new batch of carrier fighters for Indian Navy
India will choose the winner of the project to supply 126 fighters for country's air forces this month, Times of India said on Saturday quoting sources in country's Defense Ministry.
The largest tender of arms supplies to India worth $10.4 billion was announced in 2007. The six contenders, including Russia's MiG-35, Sweden's Gripen, U.S. F/A 18 and F-16, were in race for the tender.
After U.S., Russian and Swedish fighters were excluded from the list this April, the Eurofighter Typhoon, backed by UK, Germany, Spain and Italy, and the French Rafale jets continue their race for the tender.
Under terms of the tender the winner is to invest 50 percent of the contract in jets production in India. The first 18 fighters will be imported, while another 108 will be manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics, the paper said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- wanklordOne third of India's population is malnourished22:53, 08/10/2011India could wisely use those $10.4 billion in social programs towards its malnourished population (i.e. health and nutrition programs).
- machoRESPECTIVE ALLOCATION17:45, 11/10/2011Defence budget is different should never be compared to social welfare schemes.Welfare schemes should be brought in to light by questioning how efficient is their functioning.Is every thing allocated for eradication of poverty or for food or health care is able to reach its goal.
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.