MOSCOW, October 5 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defense systems in joint drills with Belarus
- Syria may buy more Russian air defense systems
- CIS air defense units hold joint exercises in Russia
- Iran unlikely to get S-300s
The development of Russia's formidable S-500 air defense system is lagging behind schedule by at least two years, the Izvestia daily said on Wednesday citing a defense industry source.
According to the source, the first prototypes will be ready and tested by 2015, while the deliveries to the Russian army could start in 2017 at the earliest.
"The production cycle of this system is about two years. Therefore, even if the prototypes are ready by 2015, the military will not receive production models earlier than in 2017," the source said.
A source in the Russian Defense Ministry confirmed that the earlier announced schedule of S-500 deliveries in 2015 was "too optimistic," as the prototypes should have already been undergoing field tests to meet the deadlines.
The S-500, a long-range air defense missile system, is expected to become the backbone of a unified aerospace defense system being formed in Russia.
The system is expected to have an extended range of up to 600 km (over 370 miles) and simultaneously engage up to 10 targets.
The Russian military has demanded that the system must be capable of intercepting ballistic missiles and hypersonic cruise missiles and plans to order at least ten S-500 battalions for the future Russian Aerospace Defense.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mark fS500 air defense system behind schedule20:29, 07/10/2011Russia should be funding the development of this critical system for its air defense via sales of the S300/ S400 to Iran and others. USA funds its high tech development programmes via guaranteed sales to its allies and provides technology hardly a half generation old to do this. Russia needs to do similar rather than providing loads of obscolete equipment it should be creating sales partnerships of near current generation equipment to fund current developments. Russia's defense is being severely undermined and Russia needs to get onto its front foot and realise its capabilities.