MOSCOW, July 3 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia to create Arctic troops - defense minister
- Russia, Norway may issue Barents, Arctic shelf licenses in 2013
- Russia against militarized Arctic
- Russia to build 10 emergency services centers in the Arctic
Canadian Defense Minister Peter McKay has announced that his country is preparing to send more than 1,000 troops on a huge Nanook exercise in the High Arctic in August, the website of Montreal Gazette paper said on Sunday.
"It will be the largest operation that has taken place in recent history," MacKay told soldiers in Afghanistan. "All of this is very much about enlarging the footprint and the permanent and seasonal presence we have in the North. It is something that we as a government intend to keep investing in."
The announcement came two days after Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said Russia would deploy troops in the north to defend its interests in the Arctic region.
The Canadian exercise is to play out in several phases on and near Baffin Island and Ellesmere Island throughout August. It will involve CF-18 fighter jets as well as surveillance and transport aircraft, a warship, infantry companies from Quebec and Alberta and 5 Canadian Ranger Patrol Group - Inuit reservists who have broad experience surviving in the extremely austere environment of the Far North.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Latinskywhere are 2 facey canadan ria novosti member ?21:45, 03/07/2011somebody silent!!!
- firstname.lastname@example.orgThis article made me laugh18:43, 04/07/2011Canada plans huge military exercise in the arctic region. No offence to RIA Novosti but to my knowledge Canada only has two military frigates, maybe two submarines, and 8 F-18 jet fighters. And those 8 F-18 jet fighters are in Libya fighting to free the Libyan oil from the oppressors that want to send it to China.
So Canada may be holding a military exercise in the arctic and their may be 1,000 men but to be honest unless they can all get on those two Canadian frigates I'm not quite sure how they will get up there.
To my knowledge this news has not been released in Canada yet.
- email@example.comI checked Canadian news and not a word on this exercise18:57, 04/07/2011The Canadian news sources are being very quiet on this Arctic military exercise that will take place in August 2011 based on RIA Novosti's article.
The focus of the news in the west is on all of the Canadian Designer dresses that Kate Duchess of Cambridge is wearing on her visit to Canada along with her husband Prince William.
So either the Royal visit is an intentional distraction from this planned military exercise or the Canadians are not taking it that seriously either.
Image Galleries: Nature Vs Сivilization
Infographics: Racing in Sochi
The British experience can be instructive for Russia. London retains its British Commonwealth if it wants to use this as a foundation for integration in the future. That’s a valuable lesson for Russian experts who are calling for an end to “ineffective” associations like the CIS, the Russian World and others.