ST. PETERSBURG, June 30 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian shipyard lays down new corvette
- Russia to showcase new stealth corvette at IMDS-2011
- Russia floats out 3rd stealth corvette
- Russian North Fleet destroyer to return to service by end of year
- Russian destroyer to take part in FRUKUS-2010 naval drills
Russia will finish in 2016 the construction of a new class destroyer, which will most likely be nuclear powered, commander of the Russian Navy Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said on Thursday.
"A prototype of an ocean-going class destroyer will be built in 2016 for the country's Navy," Vysotsky said at the 5th International Maritime Defense Show, IMDS-2011, in St. Petersburg.
The admiral added there was a 90 percent probability that the warship would be equipped with a nuclear-powered engine.
President of Russia's United Shipbuilding Corporation Roman Trotsenko said earlier on Thursday that his company would start designing a new-generation, nuclear-powered destroyer for the Russian Navy this fall.
He said the design phase will take up to two years.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize