Topic: Russia-India partnership
- Russia may deliver first upgraded MiG to India in 2011
- Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India
- Russia signs $1.5-bln fighter jet contract with India
- India, Russia close to $1.2 bln deal for 29 navy fighters
- Russia's MIG company confirms delivery of naval fighters to India
Russia's MiG aircraft maker delivered a new batch of five MiG-29K/KUB carrier-based fighters to the Indian navy in May, the company said.
"A flight training simulator and other technical equipment has also been delivered," MiG said in a statement on Monday.
The two countries signed a contract stipulating the supply of 12 single-seat MiG-29Ks and four two-seat MiG-29KUBs to India in January 2004. The contract is part of a $1.5-billion deal to deliver the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, currently being retrofitted in Russia for the Indian Navy.
India's first four MiG-29Ks and MiG-29KUBs officially entered service in February 2010.
In March 2010, Russia and India signed a $1.5-billion contract on the supplies of 29 additional MiG-29K Fulcrum-D carrier-based fighter jets to New Delhi. The start of the supplies is scheduled for 2012.
The contracts for the jets also stipulate pilot training and aircraft maintenance, including the delivery of flight simulators and interactive ground and sea-based training systems.
The Indian Navy has named its MiG-29K squadron the "Black Panthers." The fighters will be based at an airfield in the state of Goa on India's west coast until the Admiral Gorshkov joins the Navy under the name of INS Vikramaditya in early 2013.
The Vikramaditya is expected to carry up to 24 MiG-29K/KUB fighters. The future indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant being built by India may also carry these aircraft.
MOSCOW, May 31 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- shanksinhaTimely induction12:00, 02/06/2011Its good to see that atleast the induction of MiG 29K is going as per schedule. The critcal delays in Gorshkov/Vikramaditya programme has generated a lot of bad press in India and the damage done can only be redeemed by ensuring that the carrier enters operational service by 2013 along with these MiG 29Ks.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.