- Russia floats out 3rd stealth corvette
- Russia floats out first of new class of frigate
- Russian Navy to procure 10 new frigates next decade
- Russia to hold competition to choose new Navy corvette - paper
- Russia starts construction of 2nd Adm. Gorshkov class frigate
St. Petersburg's Severnaya Verf shipyard on Thursday started construction of a new corvette for the Russian Navy.
The project 20385 corvette is a larger and improved version of the Steregushchy class corvette. It uses stealth technology to reduce the ship's secondary radar field, as well as its acoustic, infrared, magnetic and visual signatures.
"It is a fundamentally new ship for the Russian Navy; its performance and combat power surpass other ships of the same class," Severnaya Verf said in a statement.
Severnaya Verf is currently fulfilling 75 percent of state orders for the construction of warships for all four Russian fleets.
The shipyard has four Steregushchy class corvettes, two Admiral Gorshkov class frigates and a Project 18280 intelligence ship.
Severnaya Verf is also fulfilling orders to upgrade four Koni class frigates for the Algerian navy.
ST. PETERSBURG, May 26 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.