The Russian military plans to buy only advanced and highly-effective weaponry in the future to meet the challenges of modern warfare© RIA Novosti. Mikhail Fomichev
- Russian military justifies purchase of Mistral ships
- Russian military to receive 1,300 types of weaponry by 2020
- Russia to start building new S-500 air defense missiles by 2014
- S-400 missiles on Russia's Kuril Islands 'overkill'
The Russian Ground Forces will start receiving a number of advanced weapons in 2011, including modernized S-300V4 air defense missile systems, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.
"Starting in 2011, the Ground Forces will receive modernized S-300V4 and Buk-M2 medium-range air defense systems, Tor-M2 short-range air defense systems, and portable air defense systems," the ministry said in a statement.
The Russian military plans to buy only advanced and highly-effective weaponry in the future to meet the challenges of modern warfare, the ministry says.
The Ground Forces will continue to receive Iskander-M [SS-26 Stone] tactical ballistic missiles, new multiple-launch rocket systems, self-propelled guns, BTR-82A armored personnel carriers, and anti-tank missile systems.
Information on the advanced S-300V4 system remains classified. According to some sources, it may be based on the S-300VM (SA-23 Gladiator) mobile air defense system.
MOSCOW, February 28 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- TEJAVIANo Fly Zone19:12, 01/03/2011Outstanding hardware! Remind me not to fly my Cessna over Russia without FAS clearance.
- xama226Russian Army?07:06, 02/03/2011two days ago the BBC reported that 9 out of ten units of the RF army will be abolished. Can you tell us the size of the eventual russian army?
- Niko...00:23, 04/03/2011I dont know what kind of idiotism BBC is produceing. But I know that Russian Army is going thrue rapid modernization program right now.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.