The Russian military plans to buy only advanced and highly-effective weaponry in the future to meet the challenges of modern warfare© RIA Novosti. Mikhail Fomichev
- Russian military justifies purchase of Mistral ships
- Russian military to receive 1,300 types of weaponry by 2020
- Russia to start building new S-500 air defense missiles by 2014
- S-400 missiles on Russia's Kuril Islands 'overkill'
The Russian Ground Forces will start receiving a number of advanced weapons in 2011, including modernized S-300V4 air defense missile systems, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.
"Starting in 2011, the Ground Forces will receive modernized S-300V4 and Buk-M2 medium-range air defense systems, Tor-M2 short-range air defense systems, and portable air defense systems," the ministry said in a statement.
The Russian military plans to buy only advanced and highly-effective weaponry in the future to meet the challenges of modern warfare, the ministry says.
The Ground Forces will continue to receive Iskander-M [SS-26 Stone] tactical ballistic missiles, new multiple-launch rocket systems, self-propelled guns, BTR-82A armored personnel carriers, and anti-tank missile systems.
Information on the advanced S-300V4 system remains classified. According to some sources, it may be based on the S-300VM (SA-23 Gladiator) mobile air defense system.
MOSCOW, February 28 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- TEJAVIANo Fly Zone19:12, 01/03/2011Outstanding hardware! Remind me not to fly my Cessna over Russia without FAS clearance.
- xama226Russian Army?07:06, 02/03/2011two days ago the BBC reported that 9 out of ten units of the RF army will be abolished. Can you tell us the size of the eventual russian army?
- Niko...00:23, 04/03/2011I dont know what kind of idiotism BBC is produceing. But I know that Russian Army is going thrue rapid modernization program right now.