- Russia, U.S. complete new START ratification
- New START treaty 'lays foundation' for Russia-U.S. cooperation - Lavrov
- Nuclear warheads ready for Bulava missile as test program picks up steam
- New START treaty benefits both signatories - Russian analyst
The New START arms reduction treaty will not shift Russia's plans to continue developing Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) and Yars RS-24 missiles, Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Saturday.
Earlier in the day, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton exchanged the instruments of ratification for the New START arms reduction treaty and the document came into effect.
"This treaty does not envision any duties on Russia except for one: to observe the limits stated in the treaty," Ivanov said.
"The plans we had to develop the strategic component of the armed forces remain in force, this concerns Bulava and Yars," Ivanov said.
Ivanov emphasized that not only Russia and the United States, but all of the countries which develop and have nuclear arms should hold talks aimed at reducing strategic nuclear arsenals.
MUNICH, February 5 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgCongratulations to all who made this happen23:27, 05/02/2011It was a very positive day for not only Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as they exchanged the instruments of ratification for the New START arms reduction treaty bringing the document came into effect, but also Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and American President Barack Obama who worked tirelessly along with their teams and senate commitees who finally approved everything.
Congratulations everyone for a job well done!
During the 11th Annual Meeting to be held in Sochi from October 22 to 24, experts of the Valdai International Discussion Club will focus on whether the global community will develop ground rules for the world politics or whether it will be a game without any rules where everyone fend for themselves.