- Russia's defense spending to rise by 60% by 2013 - paper
- Russia to market 300 warplanes domestically, abroad by 2015 (update 1)
- Russia needs more flying tankers for its Air Force
- Russia's space defenses in shambles - experts
The Russian air force is completing a modification program for its MiG-31 interceptor aircraft to the MiG-31BM standard, the force's commander Col.Gen. Alexander Zelin said on Friday.
"The air force is currently carrying out the vital task of deep modification of the MiG-31 aircraft to MiG-31BM standard. This task is being successfully carried out," he said.
The MiG-31BM is fitted with upgraded avionics and digital datalinks, a new multimode radar, color multi-function cockpit displays, a new, more powerful computer and ability to carry new air-to-air and possibly air-to-surface missiles such as the AS-17 Krypton anti-radar missile.
Information on display next to a MiG-31BM in 2009 associated the aircraft with air-to-air missiles including the Vympel R-73 (AA-11 Archer), R-77 (AA-12 Adder), and R-33S (upgraded AA-9 Amos) and the K-37M (AA-X-13 Arrow).
The air force is also accepting other new aircraft, including the Su-34 strike aircraft, the forthcoming Su-35, the Yak-130 advanced trainer, and Ka-52 and Mi-28 helicopters, he said.
Manufacturer's tests are also underway on the Sukhoi T-50 fifth generation fighter prototype.
Zarya (Moscow Region), August 13 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- shankA ver positive development12:31, 15/08/2010These much needed and protracted upgradations will ensure that the MiG-31 remains on the forefront of technology. A sizeable interceptor force of upgraded MiG-31s wll ensure effective air defence of vast Russian airspace. Although an AESA upgrade is not available right now an electronicaly steered PESA with adequete power output combined with new generation AAMs should suffice for the moement. It is good to see the fighter that pioneered airborne phased array radars in the world shall remain on the forefront of technology in its service life.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.