- Tymoshenko not afraid to bear responsibility for work on premier post
- Tymoshenko still believes Ukraine polls were fixed
- PM Tymoshenko to take leave, first deputy to take over
- Tymoshenko's Bloc to move into opposition before Ukrainian coalition formed
- Tymoshenko suffers new blow as parliament dismisses her government
- Ukraine's Tymoshenko calls on her coalition for unity
- Yanukovych's party starts process to dismiss Ukrainian government
Yulia Tymoshenko, Ukraine's former prime minister whose government was dismissed last week, called on Tuesday for the country's democratic forces to unite against the new Ukrainian authorities.
"We have gathered to join all our forces, to unite all volunteers, all political parties and movements, public movements, who are able to perceive today what a threat Ukraine faces," the former prime minister said, addressing thousands of her supporters in a square in central Kiev.
Ukrainian police estimated that some 7,000 people came to the rally, which took place on the 196th anniversary of Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko's birthday.
Tymoshenko said people should unite "to defend Ukraine."
Tymoshenko lost the February 7 presidential runoff to Viktor Yanukovych, who was sworn in as president on February 25.
On March 3, following a collapse of the majority coalition led by Tymoshenko, the country's parliament voted to oust her government, improving the chances of Yanukovych's Party of Regions to form a new parliamentary majority he needs to push through his policies.
Tymoshenko then announced that her party, the Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc, would move into the opposition without waiting for the formation of a new majority coalition.
KIEV, March 9 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.