MOSCOW, September 26 (RIA Novosti) - The Prosecutor General's Office has ruled that family members of the last Russian Tsar Nicholas II are not subject to rehabilitation, the office said Wednesday on its Web site.
"Today, First Deputy Prosecutor General Alexander Buksman signed an order ruling that Nikolai [Nicholas] Romanov and members of his family may not be rehabilitated," the press release said.
The Romanov dynasty was accused by Communist authorities of exerting a bloody tyranny over the nation and executed July 17, 1918 in Yekaterinburg, Siberia.
Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna Romanov, who lives in Spain, has sought to get the charge cancelled, but a Russian court previously rejected her application, saying the tsar's family was not officially sentenced and the execution was ordered by an unauthorized group.
"During the investigation it was established that there is no authentic proof of the existence of any court or extrajudicial bodies' rulings on the repression of the deceased, which is a mandatory condition for rehabilitation," the press release said.
A lawyer representing the Romanovs, German Lukyanov, called the decision illegal.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.