Topic: Punk Group Pussy Riot Case
MOSCOW, August 17 (RIA Novosti)
- Pussy Riot Found Guilty Over Punk Prayer Stunt
- Pussy Riot Judge Assigned Bodyguard
- Authorities Face Hard Choice in Pussy Riot Verdict
- Finnish Professor Faces Charges for Pussy Riot-Style Stunt
Three members of the feminist punk collective Pussy Riot were sentenced to two years in prison on Friday after being convicted of hooliganism and inciting religious hatred by a Moscow district court.
Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, Maria Alyokhina, 24, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 30, were convicted for staging an anti-Kremlin “punk prayer” in a central Moscow cathedral in February.
The three have already spent more than five months in pretrial detention, which, according to Russian legislation, equals ten months in prison.
The custodial term is effective from the moment of arrest, which for Samutsevich was March 15, 2012 and Alyokhina and Tolokonnikova March 3, 2012. The three will therefore be due for release at the beginning of 2014.
The case, which has been a cause celebre for Russia's liberal opposition, has polarized Russian society and become the focus of international attention. The group members and their supporters claim the conduct of the trial was masterminded by the Kremlin, enraged by their protest stunt. Kremlin representatives have denied the allegations.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Wolfgang9Good!18:17, 17/08/2012That's a good verdict!!
Those provocant and unteachable girls had to be punished otherwise there would be lots of copycats! And after some prison time with good behavior I would offer them to leave for the US. Then, Madonna and Sting and whatever other junk artists (sorry I forgot their names) can take care of them, feed them, hug them, and invest in them:-)
- ArmenianThank you Russia18:58, 17/08/2012Corrosive effects of Globalism and Western political incitement is what encourages young women to form punk bands, call themselves Pussy Riot, desecrate places of worship, break laws, smile shameless on news cameras, call it all "freedom" and then expect everyone to feel sorry for them. I'm glad the authorities in Russia have stood their ground.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.