Topic: Punk Group Pussy Riot Case
MOSCOW, August 8 (RIA Novosti)
- Madonna May Speak Out For Pussy Riot at Moscow Show
- Prosecution Seeks 3 Yrs for Pussy Riot Members
- Pussy Riot Member Says Charges ‘Absurd’
- British Musicians Speak Out for Pussy Riot
- St. Pete Painter Sews Mouth Shut in Support of Pussy Riot
- Due West: Trying Pussy Riot - The Long-Term Repercussions
U.S. pop diva Madonna said addressing a crowd of her fans during the concert in Moscow that she “prays” for the three jailed members of scandalous Pussy Riot punk band in Russia.
“The three girls - Masha, Katya, Nadya - I think they have done something courageous. I think they paid the price and I pray for their freedom,” she told thousands of her fans at the Olimpiisky Stadium.
Three Pussy Riot members - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, all aged between 20 and 30 - are on trial in Moscow over their performance of a “punk prayer,” calling for then-Prime Minister Putin to quit. Witnesses for the prosecution claim the performance in Moscow’s Christ the Savior Cathedral included insults directed at Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill, as well as blasphemous words that insulted believers.
“I have the right to express my point of view,” Madonna said adding that she prayed for others to have the same freedom and then she resumed with her highly-theatrical performance wearing a mask like the one Pussy Riot members wore during their event.
Recent weeks have seen a flood of support for Pussy Riot with a string of musicians who, during their performances in Russia, surprised audiences by publicly backing the group. Now, the line-up of pro-Pussy Riot celebrities has grown to include such cultural heavyweights as Sting, film director Terry Gilliam, songwriter Peter Gabriel, and actor Danny DeVito.
Madonna’s concert at the Olimpiisky stadium is part of the current MDNA tour, which covers 26 cities around the world. In Russia, she will also travel to St. Petersburg to perform on August 9.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Wolfgang9IMHO,05:48, 08/08/2012she ahould better think twice. I have many friends who are no fans of her (I'm neither) and those would just be confirmed in their opinion about Pussy Riot if Madonna is praising them. Such things can backfire too. W.
- pushkinlovTRASH09:39, 08/08/2012The cultural heavyweights, including the rag singer of the 80's, can grab their little behind and dump their crap in their rotting freedom land. Curious enough, civil liberties are at all time law the the US, where people are no only jailed but also subject to torture for minimum offenses against the establishment. Now these declining personalities come to Russia to throw their baggage, when they should go back and fight for the very minimum freedoms their country is negating to the general population. These cultural heavyweights are nothing but putrid snobs who seek glory in the motherland, but they have already their place in the rear of every sewer deposit of a respectable Russian family. In that place they can invoke their courageous prays for the Pussy Brats of Moscow.
- bielecGood advice10:22, 08/08/2012People who think with their pussies should stay out of politics.
- PETEPETEPETEWhat God?10:37, 08/08/2012She prays but she doesn't tell you to what God. It's their "All Seeing Eye" that is on the back of the dollar bills.
- CyrilleHey Madonnna!13:05, 12/08/2012I'm from France where Madona is very popular, but I really don't care about anything she could utter!
It's all about US soft power here. We really don't care about this "singer". She belongs to the soft West Propaganda bullshit that has been carried out in recents decades and which tries to manipulate the intellect of poorly minded people. Beware of her, but she's not really dangerous except for herself!
Image Galleries: Russia in World War I
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918
The self-defense forces in Donbass likely do not have the capability to win. Kiev will simply outlast the republic’s fighters. Ukraine still has many mobilization resources. The most important thing for self-defense fighters is not to win the war but rather not to lose it.