MOSCOW, June 28 (RIA Novosti)
- Emergency situation declared in Russian Baltic exclave over flood
- Over 6,000 people affected by south Russia flash floods - governor
- Medvedev calls on Russian government to act on climate change doctrine
- Oceans attack: Global flood risks in the 21st century
- Russian scientist highlights flood threat due to climate change
The number of flood disasters Russia will suffer over the next five years is likely to be much higher than the average owing to global climate changes, Vladislav Bolov, head of the Emergencies Ministry's Antistkhiya Center said on Tuesday.
"Amid the expected rise in maximum water storage in the snowpack, the intensity of spring floods on the rivers of the Arkhangelsk region, Komi Republic, Yenisei and Lena river basins and the Ural territories will increase," Bolov said.
The threat of flood disasters is highest in Russia's central European, north European regions, eastern Siberia and Kamchatka Peninsula.
Bolov also said that the duration of the average flood period may increase twofold: from 12 to 24 days, or even more.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.